Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Awesome evening

I've been told before that all I do is complain about the boys. I don't intend to, but I mostly use blogs and such as ways to vent after exceptionally rough days... so I suppose it does seem like all I do is complain about the boys.

Anyways, I wanted to point out a really awesome evening that I had with the boys tonight. I had hired a friend's son for manual labor around the house (he needs money, I need things done that I either haven't done or can't do, so it works out beautifully), so we dropped him off at his place and then were going to go get some food. I had thought about going out to Ikea so I could pick up some magazine holders, but the boys were overly wired and Liam hadn't finished his homework yet.
Liam was ticked off, even tho I had told him a few dozen times to finish up the last bit of homework he had so we could do something fun after we dropped off the kiddo. Nope. He would rather scream and throw a fit. Ok, fine, but then we aren't going the whole way out to Ikea when he has homework to do.
On the ride back towards the house, I started asking Liam about questions that were on his homework. Then I remembered I had a notepad in my bag. We pulled over so I could pull out the notepad and a pencil, then I told him we were going to work on the assignment on the way home. If he would work on it, then we could possibly go somewhere cool for dinner. Otherwise, we'd pick up what I needed for the rabbit, and go home.
He was pissed. He insisted he couldn't do anything without the book. I told him that I would help him to remember little details, so just quit screaming and freaking out and let's talk it out. He knew the questions that were on the paper, since they are the same each week. He had no trouble remembering those... and really, he had very little trouble remembering the parts of the story. It was like pulling teeth to get the first few easier things out, but once he got those out, he was doing really good. He ended up "finishing" the assignment even before we got to the house. We passed the house and headed off to dinner. He was quite proud of himself, as was I!

I had been trying to figure out what to do for dinner. Then I remembered I had coupons for Boston Market. I asked Liam if he wanted to go there, and he was all for it. After we ordered, I realized I didn't pick the coupons up at home, but the food was more than worth it anyways. Ethan ended up having Macaroni and Cheese with a side of Macaroni and Cheese :P Liam had a bit of an issue with picking out food since we had to avoid the gluten and casein. What he really wanted was corn. Last time we went, they told us the corn was in butter, so I told him that the corn wouldn't work. He was annoyed, but found they have a new "Garlicky Spinach" that he went for right away. The girl filling our order asked what his allergy was and I told her. She then offered to go into the back and open a new pack of corn, since when they get it in, it's plain. Liam was THRILLED! He got to have butter-free corn! :) So he had turkey with garlicky spinach, butter-free corn, and cinnamon apples. He was in heaven!
Both kids sat and ate their entire meals. No fighting. No screaming. The only dropped food on the floor was when Liam had a cinnamon apple try to run for it off of his fork. They both finished their entire plates. I ended up taking about half of mine home, but they ate all of theirs. I had some kosher dark chocolate in my purse and ended up giving each of them a piece to eat while I went to the bathroom before we left. I came back from the bathroom to see them talking nicely to each other and they had cleaned the whole table!

It was honestly the best dinner I've had with them in ages.

I was feeling a bit blah (this "spring" shit is wreaking havoc on my allergies. I hate it when things bloom. My head feels like it's going to burst.) so I said that we were just going to hit Petsmart across the street to pick up the bunny nail clippers that I wanted to get and then we'd head home. They were even pretty good in the store! I did have to talk to Ethan about randomly walking up to people and their dogs and starting to pet them, but that's not a huge deal. He was being nice and gentle (which is a big change from how he used to be), but some dogs just don't like kids, and he doesn't get that at all. He also thinks it's "awesome" when the dogs jump up on him and knock him over or lick his face.

Both boys are fast asleep and I think I am going to attempt to clip one of the bunny's nails and then go to sleep myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment